[Rhodes22-list] winterizing task list

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Nov 6 10:45:43 EST 2012

Ray,

Welcome aboard!

Check out this website for maintenance and all things Rhodes:
http://www.rhodes22.org/blew_skies/topics.html
<http://www.rhodes22.org/blew_skies/topics.html>

I'm a low maintenance kind of guy.

I sail in salt water.  I don't have a trailer but I pull and dry-dock the
boat once every two years, at which time I paint her bottom and service the
motor.  You shouldn't need to bottom-paint your boat in fresh water.  Not
sure if you need to flush your motor with fresh water but I do it twice a
year.  Definitely keep some type of stabilizer in your gas.  Don't forget to
open and close the vent on your gas tank each time you motor.  I sail year
round and don't winterize my motor.

I don't drain my fresh water tank but make sure there's room for expansion
in case it freezes.

My seven-year-old tiller is the only teak on the outside of my boat.  It's
never been covered and the gray wood doesn't look near as nice as when it
was varnished.  A spare tiller is a good idea if you let yours rot away
until it breaks.

There are lots of nuts and bolts and screws and fasteners and things that
wiggle loose with the force of sailing.  Check them periodically and keep
spare ones on hand.

Check the bilge and lazarette every time it rains and sponge them out if
necessary.

I've two solar panels (and my motor) that keep my batteries charged.  The
batteries lasted seven years with no maintenance.  I replaced them this
year.  Probably a good idea to check their fluid level annually.

I spray a silicone lubricant on my electric motor lift track and the poptop
arms and the sliding boom connector as needed.  Based on a previous
recommendation from Rummy I plan on lubing my motor lift belt too.

I've kept my sails on the boat without issue for seven years.  The IMF mast
and UV covers have provided adequate protection.  I haven't lower my mast
yet.

If possible I have someone else clean and maintain my boat.  Unfortunately
sometimes it's quicker to do it myself.  Life's too short to waste time
working on your boat when you could be sailing it.

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Kent Island, MD