[Rhodes22-list] S/V Susan Kay One Tough Little Sailboat

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Sun Nov 18 07:18:33 EST 2012

Ben,
Glad you found her. I imagine the boat yards in your area will be busy for
the next six months or possibly longer.

Rummy

In a message dated 11/17/2012 9:01:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
bencittadino at gmail.com writes:

<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/n44592/mail.google.com-1.jpg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/n44592/mail.google.com-3.jpg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/n44592/mail.google.com-4.jpg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/n44592/mail.google.com-5.jpg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/n44592/mail.google.com.jpg>

I tried to attach photos...probably failed ...but I can report a  fairly
interesting story. According to Chick Cunningham who defied an  evacuation
order and stayed in his house on the property of his marina in  Sea Bright,
NJ the boat was up on screw jacks in the marina yard when at  the height of
the storm she, and some of the larger boats went sailing away  by themselves
on the tidal surge of the Atlantic Ocean (he watched them  sail by looking
from his second floor window with 5' of water on the first  floor of his
house) ...they sailed the streets of Sea Bright where many  buildings were
destroyed. When the tide receded she was located on Osbourn  Place several
blocks north of the marina . She was upright and aside from  some scrapes on
the hull, damage to the outboard, and some badly bent  railings
(bumper-boats??)...she's fine.
He retrieved her, put her back  on her jacks and the insurance adjuster was
out there today, as I was. The  town is a mess and I had to show my boat
documents to the State Troopers  who were guarding the approaches to the
town. Did I mention that the mast  was up and the sails stayed furled and
the
standing rigging was intact? The  electrical system was intact and the
freaking lights worked.

Stan,  you build good boats.

Best,

BenC

-----
BenC
S/V Susan Kay  (Rhodes22 '93 recycled '08)
Highlands, NJ (Homeport)
--
View this  message in context:
http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/S-V-Susan-Kay-One-Tough-Little-Sailboat-tp44592.html