[Rhodes22-list] Water Tank Installation

Jay Curry jac2 at wavecable.com
Mon Nov 19 12:08:28 EST 2012

I am replacing my 10" X 14" X 24" water tank. The current tank is not
secured in place and simply sits on the raw fiber glass of the inside hull.
Securing the tank safely in place will be no problem, but I am not sure what
sort of material to use for leveling the hull area it sits on. At a minimum,
I will use a sheet of impact absorbing plastic. But,  I need a solid and
level surface for the tank bottom.

I think foam, even closed cell,  is out since it will collect dirt and
moisture and be difficult to clean when necessary. I also want to avoid
anything that cannot be easily removed. Leveling will require a material
thickness of less than one inch thick. I need to find a good leveling putty
or material of some kind suitable for this purpose. Forming a small
removable base out of fiber glass would be an option, but I have no
experience with doing this kind of glass work. I am willing to learn and do
it if I have to, but I was hoping there would be another way. Can anyone
suggest a suitable material or pass on what they have done in the past?

As always, thanks in advance for your input. I also want to say my thoughts
have been with those affected by the storm. The story from Kay was welcome
news and great continued reassurance on our decision to go to the amount of
effort and trouble we did to purchase our refurbished 92, our last boat, and
get her back home from NC. Here it has been raining almost daily for weeks
and we got through our first November wind event last night with several
hours of gusts in the 50's. They get a lot worse than that, but so far, so
good.

Take care
Jay Curry
Port Angeles, WA