[Rhodes22-list] Towing

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Wed Nov 21 20:26:06 EST 2012

On the other end of the towing spectrum, I offer my experience.   I tow twice a season, 35 miles one way, relatively flat and more than half of that is interstate highway.   My ramp is top notch, if it has a drop-off, I have not seen it.  It was built in the 1930's to launch flying boats.

My boat/trailer is probably on the lighter side.  It is a 1985 without enclosed head and few options. Trailer is a single-axle Triad.  Motor is a 58 pound two-stroke.

I do fine with a 2008 Toyota Highlander with 5,000 pound tow package.  Previously I did fine with a 1998 Chevy Blazer with a tow package.   If I went farther or much more often, I might use a heavier vehicle.

I do use a anti-sway weight distributing hitch when the boat is loaded. It is made by www.equalizerhitch.com.  It does not interfere with the trailer surge brakes.

My $0.02.

Jim Connolly