[Rhodes22-list] Ballast : High winds report and performanceevaluation

Stephen Staum snstaum at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 06:41:57 EDT 2012

John,

Where did you add the 300# of lead?

Stephen Staum
s/v Carol Lee 2
Needham, MA

-----Original Message-----
From: John Shulick
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2012 7:08 PM
To: rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Ballast : High winds report and
performanceevaluation

Hi all,

As we approach the end of another sailing season (for us northerners at
least), I finally had the right conditions 2 weeks ago to test the added
ballast and the added 2nd reef in a high wind situation. The wind was in the
high teens gusting to up to the mid to high 20's. I lowered the boom (~20")
and set the main on the 2nd reef. Then I put out the Genoa out to the 1 st
spreader (baby stay) and averaged 3 knots over a 9 nautical mile run both up
and down wind. On serious gusts the boat would heel ~ 10* and then she would
dig in her heels and not budge an inch. Pointing was about the same. Helm
was neutral. You could get up to use the head or mix a drink and leave the
helm locked for a brief time and not worry a gust would get you in serious
trouble. On the down wind leg running Genny only (full out) I hit 6 Knots.

The next day the wind had subsided to single digits and Steve, who has a
83-84 Rhodes was out with a friend and we happened to cross paths. Steve's
boat is stock, Standard main (regular battens) 150 Genoa (deck sweeper cut).
I spotted him a 1/2 mi or so lead then matched his sail plan and caught him
in 2 legs of a tacking duel. The harder the wind blew the faster I was
verses him. Full battens and 300 lbs, of lead in the belly make a serious
performance improvement IMHO and I would encourage others to explore these
modifications.
They have definitely worked for me.

3 weeks left in the season (sigh)

John S