[Rhodes22-list] Ballast report : picts of 2nd reef position in 8-12 mph winds (with gusts in the mid teens)

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Thu Oct 18 22:19:05 EDT 2012

Hi all,

 Last weekend of the sailing season (for me) and Steve, the other Rhodie on
my lake was kind enough to bring his camera and send me some pictures as we
did a sail along for a short while. The boom is set in the high position so
I still reef further if the wind gets into the upper teens to the mid 20's.
The Genoa set is the same in both positions. Note the last shot with the
Pirate flag straight out and the boat at 0* of heel.
Speed was in the 4-5 knot range and though Steve was using 1st reef position
(he only has 1 reef point)
but I still had a 1/2 knot advantage over his set up. also enclosed for
comparison are some shots of his boat.

Time to put the toy away for the season and ponder new improvements for next
year.

John S

my boat
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/n44382/John_and_Jean_Sailing_10-14-2012-C.jpg>