[Rhodes22-list] Painting over scratch

rbeytagh rbeytagh at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 09:17:54 EDT 2012

If your boat has been painted then I suggest you mask-off a small area around
the scratch and give the area a good sanding in and around the scratch. With
a spatula, fill the scratch with Bondo (you can get fancy and use the West
System, but Bondo works fine for me) until it is just a little proud then
tape some cling-film over. Give it a good 24 hours to dry (more if colder)
then remove the cling-film and masking tape and using a sanding block with
120 then 220 grit, sand until it is flush with the surrounding area.
Although it is a small area, I would recommend priming first then
repainting.

If your boat has not been painted i.e. original gel coat, then the procedure
is the same, except you will have to apply a gel coat filler instead of the
Bondo. You will have to find a gel-coat tint that matches your original
color. This can be quite tricky as your original gel coat color may have
faded and will not be a standard color anymore. Gel coat and tints are
available from most marine suppliers.

Good Luck!
Richard - R22 Waif