[Rhodes22-list] Hardware for sheeting jib inside shrouds

Chris Cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Fri Sep 7 09:42:40 EDT 2012

PBR

My Rhodes 2009 has three positions for the jib/genoa.  Position 01 cabin top, position 02 cabin side, position 03 deck track to winch.  I use position 03 90% of the time as I will lose a good 2 kts in any other position.  Position 01 or 02 helps pointing a bit in a strong wind.  I experimented with a position 0 that would be mounted closer to the center of the boat somehow over the pop top.  My temporary trial for this position was for the second windward jib sheet (port side on a starboard tack) direct to the port side winch.  This arrangement pulled the jib closer to the center of the boat and allowed for a tighter angle to the wind without the jib going slack.  The problem I encountered was that the jib position in so tight seems to backwind the main and speed is reduced even more than the 2 kts I gave up for a smaller sail.  Another experiment I play around with is to fill both the holding and water tanks to put more weight forward.  This seems to help pointing a bit.

Christopher P. Cowie