[Rhodes22-list] Proper Boat Position on Trailer

Jay Curry jac2 at wavecable.com
Mon Sep 10 11:39:22 EDT 2012

Hi everyone. This is our first post to the list. We just purchased a 1992
recycled Rhodes from General Boats and drove from Port Angeles, WA to
Edenton, NC to pick it up. It will be spending most of its time on the new
dual axle trailer. Our intended use is travel to lakes in the region.
Locally we will be using it for primarily day sailing with some extended
stays in salt and fresh water. Naturally, we have a ton of questions and
hope the list members can help until we become experienced Rhodies.

The first concern is proper trailing position of the boat. For example,
should the keel rest on the roller? The trailer has an adjustable bow stop,
but should the trailer also use a bow roller to rest on when traveling? Most
important however in my mind at least, is the proper position of each of the
four trailer posts on the hull. I need to identify points on the deck under
which each post should be positioned. I noticed the boat settled a bit in
its seat this week as we were working on it to get it fully prepped for
launch. The forward post seem to be at a weak spot in the hull and the hull
is reacting slightly to the pressure. This was not the case prior to the
prep work this past week.

Currently, the forward post is directly under the most forward of the three
port windows. The rear post is directly under where the forward stern rail
support attaches to the deck. I am concerned the boat is too far forward on
the trailer. The 2 by 6 support boards between the posts were new and
adjusted to the boat shape during the trip to bring it home.

Anyway. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.