[Rhodes22-list] First Sail and Thanks

Jay Curry jac2 at wavecable.com
Wed Sep 12 22:28:55 EDT 2012

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions regarding trailer
positioning. I now know what I need to do. Much of what was suggested, I
tried or did on the way from Edenton back to Port Angeles. The effort to
correct one situation usually caused others. I ended up settling for the
least of the evils and got the boat home fine. I will be moving it backward
to a more weight centered position on the bunks. and considering a bow bunk
of some kind later that provides support but is shock absorbing as well. It
was clear that resting weight on the keel or resting the bow on a roller or
rigid bunk were not good ideas. Thanks again.

We got Dragonfly out for her first sail today. We did not get a chance to
sail her when we picked her up or before we got her home. I was considering
a Compac before settling in on the Rhodes. Boy am I glad I did not get the
Compac. Our first boat was a Hunter 260. The last was a Hunter 33. Both
sailed great when the winds were up above 8 knots and even up to 30 knots in
the 33 with no real problems. But, both boats, like the Compac were fat and
slow. When I saw the Rhodes hull design and sail configuration with the
cruising features it had, I thought I had found both a light cruiser and one
that would sail fast and easy.

Today the winds were light and variable. I did not want to go out in stiff
winds for the first sail. All I can say is WOW. The boat was quick to
accelerate in winds my other boats would have laughed at. She maneuvered
easily in almost no wind at all. The balance was excellent. I expected to be
sitting some on the water just checking things out. Instead we had a
wonderful, easy and pleasant sail.

I now understand the comments I have seen on the list about 15 to 25 knot
winds I previously thought were of little concern. It is clear she will be a
handful in stiff winds, but the reefing sails and quick power release
features make that something I am looking forward to. I think it is going to
be some great fun and that the boat will be very fast even under heavily
reefed sails. Know the weather, know the water conditions and then Reef
often, reef early and stay safe.

I could not be happier so far about having the Rhodes. I am still not sure I
like the trailer, but the boat is everything we thought it would be and
more.

Happy to be Rhodies.

Jay & Kathy.