[Rhodes22-list] mast raising checklist

Joe Babb jsbabb01 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 08:19:35 EDT 2012

 Here's the list that I have found to be helpful and reassuring.  Best, Joe

Tips for rigging a Rhodes 22:  Mast raising.

These tips apply to the way I have rigged the thing for trailering.

1. Untie backstays and main shrouds.  If you trailer with spreaders
disconnected (I do this but you don’t have to) then attach the spreaders.
MAKE CERTAIN the furled jib is ON TOP of spreaders.  Make certain that the
main shrouds are properly connected to their chain plates.

2. Release whatever mast ties and jib ties that you have made and also any
ties that will be out of reach once the mast is up.

3. Make sure main shrouds and backstays are free and untangled as you carry
the butt of the  mast aft to its step.  Place bolt through mast step and
mast and put nut on the bolt.  Make certain once again that the jib is on
top of the spreaders.

4. Connect forward lower shrouds to their chain plates using chain and
shackle provided.

5. Connect mast winch to block on deck and to the aft lower shrouds using
bolts.  Make sure furled jib is clear of shrouds!!!

6. Raise the mast using the winch.  Either you or someone must watch the
backstays to ensure they don’t hang or get tangled with the outboard or the
stern rail or the mast crutch or any number of other things.

7. When you have the mast upright, fasten the headstay.  This is where it
is VERY easy to lose the pieces overboard, especially if you are doing the
raising on the water.  Keep plenty of spare connection hardware.  You’ll be
glad you did.

8. Double check to make sure that the main shrouds are where they should be.

9. Remove the chain from the forward lower shrouds and connect the shrouds
directly to the chain plates.

10. Remove the aft lower shrouds from the winch arm and connect them
directly to their chain plates.

11. Put main traveler in place and tighten backstays.

12. Lower boom and connect to main sheet tackle.

13. Connect pop top to mast slide.  (BE SURE THAT WHEN YOU START TO LOWER
THE MAST, THIS CONNECTION IS THE FIRST TO BE REMOVED!!!!)