[Rhodes22-list] Unfurling the Main

Bruce Mackey bmackey at charter.net
Fri Sep 21 13:19:07 EDT 2012

Have been sailing my 1988 recycled Rhodes with IMF and electric lift w/10 hp outboard for two seasons now. Love the boat, but need advice for unfurling the mainsail.

The boat does not want to come up into the wind directly when all sails are furled. Since I sail solo, I use the motor to get her up into the wind where I can more easily bring out the main.

Is there something I'm doing or not doing that is preventing her from pointing into the wind, or is there some "trick" to setting her up that I need to do to make it happen? Underway, she will come up properly, just not when there are no sails out.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce Mackey
Tuxedo
Traverse City, MI