[Rhodes22-list] Dinghy Selection Complete and other notes

Stephen Staum snstaum at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 14:39:49 EDT 2012

FYI (even though you already made your purchase),

I use a 10' Port-A-Boat.  It folds flat (4" thick), sits against the wall in
the garage, straps easily on the roof rack and tows nicely behind the
Rhodes.  The important features to me were:  it rows very nicely - just like
a solid row boat - yet stores and travels easily, the hard chines make it
quite stable and the installed flotation make it safer than an inflatable.
I had an inflatable deflate while enroute to my mooring and it is a lousy
feeling.  They do make a sail kit but I assume that it is not a great
sailboat.  It does motor very well - I have used the 4 or 5 hp outboards
from the Carol Lee and it would plane at about 15 knots with just me on
board.  It will carry 3-4 people and lots of gear.  On extended open water
trips, I have strapped it folded to the starboard lifelines with the seats
and transom below the port cockpit seats.  While assembly on board would be
challenging (w boat across the cockpit) I can usually find a float to tie to
in order to assemble it easily.

Stephen Staum
sv Carol Lee 2
Needham, MA