[Rhodes22-list] More on Regatta

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 26 13:51:23 EDT 2012

Here's more info for anyone interested in the Regatta:

The Turkey Shoot Regatta is coming up on October 5, 6 & 7

Yankee Point Marina is again proud to host these
events that are fun for both the avid racers and the cruisers alike. This year’s beneficiary of the
regatta will be Riverside Hospice. Riverside Hospice has been sponsoring the Friday and
Saturday evening cocktail parties for the last eight years.
The regatta tradition
continues with this, the 17th Annual Regatta.

The regatta provides a two day Race and weekend of fun for those sailors who own classic
sailboats. To be eligible, your boat design must be at least 25 years old. All wooden sailboats,
of any vintage are eligible to race. This regatta has at times been the largest Hospice Regatta
in the country. We hope to continue that trend this year with at least 125 boats. To date we
have 50 boats registered.

This year’s shore side activities will include a return visit by the Godspeed from the Jamestown
Foundation. While the Godspeed is here, the sailing master and crew members will provide
guided tours to all 4th grade students in Lancaster County. The Jamestown Foundation
Educational Program also provides lesson plans for the 4th grade students on the history of the
Settlers and their voyage. The public is invited to stop by for a guided tour of the boat during the
weekend. The Godspeed will participate on the race course and shoot off her cannons at
unexpected moments during the races on Saturday and Sunday. Shore side activities will
include a welcome cocktail party on Friday afternoon, with live entertainment provided by the
Honky-tonk Heroes.

John McCarthy, a noted racer, and US certified racing instructor will again be our Professional
Race Officer and he will be available to answer race related questions during the evening. John
has a few changes to announce in the race which should make the events more enjoyable and
bring all of the participants into port at the same time so we don’t have the long gap between the
first and last finishers!

Saturday’s events include the Captain’s meeting on the race mornings (Saturday and Sunday),
the races themselves, tours on the Godspeed, dinner on Saturday evening and live

entertainment for dancing. Sunday’s race will be followed by an awards ceremony. Thanks to
his excellent race management, last year the scores for the first day’s race were posted before
most sailors even made it back to the dock! We are always in need of volunteers to help out on
the weekend. If you would like to join in the fun, call Karen Knull at 462-7635. To register your
boat, go to www.yankeepointmarina.com or www.turkeyshootregatta.com .

elle

Beer is good....people are crazy

1992 Rhodes 22    Recycled '06