[Rhodes22-list] Captains Seats & Stern Rail Padded Back Rest

marlangreen at gmail.com marlangreen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 11:10:48 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I happened across a nifty fix this weekend and thought I'd share it with da
list.

For those of you with captains chairs have you ever looked under the cloth
covered pads on the stern rail? The ones you lean against while sitting in
the captains chairs.

On my boat there is some black foam wrapped around the rail. It looks like
some sort of pipe insulation. I checked at a couple of hardware stores but
they only had small diameter stuff. I looked online and saw some stuff on
air conditioning websites. Hadn't really thought much more about it since
it wasn't high on my priority list at the moment.

I happened to be in K-Mart walking by the swimming pool accessories (water
wings, beach balls & etc) and there it was. A noodle!!!! Those long round
foam tube things you can float with.

The one I found cost $2.50 and it's the exact right diameter to fit on the
rail and the same overall diameter as the old rotted padding on my boat.
Using a utility knife I slit the foam tube on one side and put it on the
rail and used cable ties to hold it on. Then I put the cloth cover back on
and we're good to go!

Marlan