[Rhodes22-list] hull deck joint reseal questions

Mike C hmcheung57 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 10:47:15 EDT 2013

It looks like it's time to do a reseal on s/v Muireann's hull deck joint.  We
get water in the hull when we've been "wave bashing".  I've searched the
archives and read what's there.  It's good stuff and I have a pretty good
idea of how to proceed.  I haven't pulled the rubrail yet, but I took a peek
at a section and discovered that instead of rivets s/v Muireann has screws.
So one of my questions is "Should I plan on replacing the screws with
rivets?".  Another is "What diameter and length rivets?".  Finally the list
advice didn't mention how the old sealant is removed.  Is it simply
physically removed? Or is a solvent advisable?  As for caulk, one part
polyurethane was recommended in the archives.  Would 3M 4200 be a good
choice?

Thanks for any and all comments and help!

-----
Mike Cheung
s/v Muireann