[Rhodes22-list] chain plate on cabin top question

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Mon Apr 29 14:08:18 EDT 2013

Steve:

I removed the chainplates from the outside - in part because I was making
major repairs to the deck anyway. The chain plate is simply bent over under
the plywood core and held in place with one short screw which loosens and
allows the chain plate to wiggle and eventually breaking the gel coat around
the hole where the chain plate comes through the deck.

I have attached a picture of the chain plate once moved. The distance
between the bend and the screw hole is 3 5/8". If yours is the same You
might have some luck drilling a hole in the liner through which the screw
could be removed  with minimal damage to the liner. To slide the chainplate
out I expect that you will need to remove some of the glass on the deck. I
had no idea what I was dealing with and so I had to remove quite a bit of
the deck to get the chainplate out. I have attached a picture of the deck
with the chainplates removed and as you will see it was quite a mess that
might have been substantially avoided had I known how the chainplate was
attached.

I coated the hole and plywood core with epoxy a far in as I could reach with
an epoxy brush and then filled the large hole with a mixture of epoxy and
sawdust. I then applied four layers of glass rovings and finished it with
fairing compound - all with an endless amount of sanding. The final picture
shows the cabin top after the repair with a base coat of primer.

I filled the space between the liner and the cabin sides with plywood in
pieces as large as I could manage and epoxyed it all in place. I intend to
install new chainplates for the lower shrouds to the cabin sides and thru
bolt them. The new plywood core should give plenty of strength and the hole
for the chain plates. And the corresponding leak, in the cabin top will be
eliminated. It will not look as sleek as the original but it will be much
more practical and avoid a maintenance problem that seems to be unfixable.

You will note that the openings are much larger than the original.. At an
earlier time I thought I would like larger ports. These large openings made
it easier to install the core but it was still a very fussy job as the space
between the liner and the outer skin varies considerably in all dimensions
and the surfaces are very rough. It is done now and I am happy but it was
very time consuming. I intend to cover the ports with black lexan that will
be screwed into the plywood core.

Graham Stewart