[Rhodes22-list] Chain Plate Repair.

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Tue Apr 30 11:28:41 EDT 2013

Redneckyc's logic about moving the chainplates was what the same as mine.
Fixing the chainplate while in place through the cabin top liner would be
easiest but given what holds the chainplate in place - a single short screw
that goes into the plywood core, I suspect that the fix will always be
temporary. A bigger hole might allow you to glass the chainplate in place
but with the chainplate being a bent piece of 1" stainless steel it is hard
to imagine that the substantial and constantly moving forces of the lower
shrouds will not work it loose again.

At the same time you have the problem of leaking through the chainplate slot
that can get into the core and the movement of the chainplate forever
loosening the cover plate that is held in pace with tiny screws into the
fibreglass. That is why I decided to remove the chainplates entirely and
place straight chainplates on the cabin sides. I don't know if the
fibreglass is strong enough there for the load  so, by removing the port, I
was able to fill the space by sliding in epoxy coated plywood.
.
I am not saying that this is an easy fix or even a desirable one for  newer
boat with good gel coat. But if you ever decide that the deck needs to be
repaired (i.e., deck delamination) of even just painted, and the appearance
of the chainplates on the outside does not concern you, that would be a good
time to consider moving. the chainplates.

Graham Stewart
gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
613 389-1737