[Rhodes22-list] (Joe's Centerboard Woes)

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Thu Aug 1 10:22:58 EDT 2013

I am thankful that the marine growth on Lake Ontario is so mild compared to
what others face. When I took the centreboard cap off about 12 years ago I
gave the inside of the trunk a really good covering of antifouling paint and
when I removed the cap again about 10 years later the paint was still there
and clean. Now that was in low fouling fresh water (we do get zebra mussels)
but even so I was surprised to see anything left of it at all given that the
same antifouling on the bottom of the boat lasted 2 years max. I think the
fact that there is little wash in the trunk and that it is very dark in
there might explain why it lasted so long. For water that fouls so badly
that the centreboard gets jammed in only a few weeks I think going to the
trouble of taking the cap off and antifouling every few years might be worth
a try.

Graham