[Rhodes22-list] Self Tending JIb

Jay Curry jac2 at wavecable.com
Tue Aug 13 08:52:54 EDT 2013

Some time ago, I posted a request to those on list for any information
anyone had on self tending jib options for my refurbished 92 Rhodes. I asked
about sail dimensions, rigging options etc. What I got in response were
questions and a note from Stan that he would be willing to revisit his
design on the problem. I just went ahead and started with the only known
requirement...... A smaller jib sail.

I wanted to solve several problems.

1. The 175% jib is too large for easy single handed operation unless it
stays reefed.
2. The 175% unbalances the boat severely in moderate winds above 12 knots or
so.
3. The 175% is too small to be useful when reefed far enough for a self
tending rig.

I had seen many comments on the list about concerns in winds above 15 knots
or so. In my experience with other boats, things don't get fun until you get
above 15 knots. This has been our first summer on the boat. It was clear
immediately the 175% had to go unless you wanted to race and had an
experienced first mate willing to constantly tend it.

Reefed however, the 175% operated wonderfully even in light winds. It was
clear a smaller sail would be prudent and a self tending rig that could be
easily used or not as desired would be ideal but, I had no idea what kind of
rigging would be required. All I knew is that the jib sail needed to be able
to swing free when fully deployed. I measured the boat for a 100% sail, sent
the dimensions to Doyle and had one made.

The 100% worked great with normal rigging. Winds above 20 knots were no
problem even under full sail. Furling was easy even under a full wind load
and swapping sheets in tacking was quick and simple.

Options for the self tending rig included everything from a full duplication
of the main rigging (boom, topping lift, traveler and sheet) to just a
single line run through the clew and tied between two points somewhere on
the bow. The single line has worked very, very well  and allowed sustained
speeds above 5 knots in 10 to 15 knot winds. It also handled higher winds
with no trouble.

Here is how it is rigged.

The clew of the 100% sail just passes the forward shrouds under normal
rigging with port and starboard sheets. A slight furling can stop it at the
forward shroud and still leave about 90% of the sail deployed. This is the
position it is in for self tending. The normal sheets stay connected and
just loose enough to allow it to swing freely to each side. A single block
is attached to the jib clew and another single block is attached to the base
of the starboard forward shroud. The self tending line is secured first to
the base of the port forward shroud, routed through the block in the sail
clew, then through the block at the base of the starboard forward shroud and
finally through the starboard inboard eye and jam cleat to the the left of
the jib furling line. This allows the single line to act as outhaul,
traveler and sheet and leads all lines to the cockpit. Sail shape can be set
easily by adjusting the furling line and the self tending line.

Switching between use of the normal sheets and the self tending sheet is
quick and easy. The boat sails under perfect balance on either rigging
because of the smaller jib. I was able to let the rudder loose and keep the
boat on course by just adjusting the main sheet under both rigging
conditions. Down wind runs were easy and reaches were even better than
normal since the jib sail could be pulled closer to the center line. Speeds
above 5 knots were easily reached and maintained. I doubt, I will be going
back to the 175% under any conditions.

I have no intent to post pictures on the list. If anyone would like me to
take some and send them, please email me directly. I will be happy to supply
the sail dimensions and pictures of the rig.

One other note. I removed the winch.  I considered it dangerous since it had
no automatic kill switch at its top limit and could pull its self out of the
transom if something happened to the remote. It was a 3,000 winch. In its
place, I set up 4 double blocks to serve as a hoist. Two were attached to
the upper winch strap bar and two to the lower. I installed a jam cleat on
the platform over the strap slot in the transom to secure the line. It works
great and allows me to lift and lower the engine ( 6 HP 4 Stroke Tohatsu)
with one hand. I used the now vacant strap slot to route the wires for my
Humminbird 858 DI Combo system.

Take care and good sailing........

Jay
Port Angeles, WA