[Rhodes22-list] Clevis pins

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Sat Aug 17 09:33:27 EDT 2013

For the first 4-5 years of Rhodes 22 ownership, I was a true trailer-sailor.
We hauled Shanghai'd Summer ('81) all over the NY area and were able to
easily launch or recover in 45 minutes to an hour.  The boat and I were
relatively new - no so much anymore.

We used "fast-pins" in all locations except the 6 located above the galley.
The front lowers and the upper sides were "permantly" attached using clevis
pins and rings since these did not require removal to step or drop the mast
since we raised from the bow.  The rear lowers were secured using the same
for safety.  These six points were capable of keeping the mast vertical.
The fore and aft stays were secured with 1/4-inch fast pins, each with a
lanyard from the fast pin ring to the tang.

We now own a '91 with inmast furling which requires us to raise the mast
from the stern using a mast crane.  This requires all lower and side stays
be removed.  We still us clevis pins and rings on the lowers and sides for
safety, although I agree it is a pain in the neck.  The fore and aft stays
are still secured using fast pins with lanyards.

In over 30 years, we have not lost a fast pin.  I do replace them every 5
years since the spring and ball mechanism as well as the hollow shaft are
points failure (the mast won't fall but a loose Genoa can be very
troublesome).  Keep the old pins around to use as spares or temporary pins
while stepping the mast.

Mike
s/v <-no name -> ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY