[Rhodes22-list] Yet another cockpit drain question

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Fri Feb 1 23:10:07 EST 2013

Rob:

Attached are pictures of the drain thru-hull covered in plastic and
electrical tape ready to be used to create the opening for the tapered
flange by pressing it into thickened epoxy. After removing the thru-hull the
opening looked like the second picture. It needs to be cleaned up but you
can see that the area where the tapered flange meets the epoxy is a very
nice fit.

After this stage I had to fill and sand until it was smooth. Finally I had
to paint it. So far I have the base coat applied. I will not install the
thru-hull permanently until the cockpit is finally painted. It looks pretty
good and should work well. I don't have a final picture and the boat is
covered for the winter but if you still want a picture of the final product
in the spring just drop me a line.

If you do this, remember to use a double layer of plastic and remove the
thru-hull as soon as the epoxy is solid enough to allow it to be removed
without pulling the epoxy with it. If you wait until the epoxy cures you
might  never get it out.

Graham