[Rhodes22-list] Electrical Question

Stephen Staum snstaum at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 06:52:29 EDT 2013

Marc,

I have a starting battery in the lazarette that is wired directly to the
outboard and should get charged when the engine is running.  I installed a
second battery in the cabin that and I wired that directly to the solar
panel I installed on the cabin top.  I suppose if I keep the battery switch
in the both position, either charger can charge both batteries but I am
reluctant to leave the boat w the batteries on.  I initially had a problem w
the bilge pump killing both batteries.  I did also add a voltmeter wired
through the master switch. It reads the selected battery and gives me an
idea of the state of charge.  I only have lights and a 12V chiller to run so
not a lot of battery is used normally.  The voltmeter only cost $15-20 at a
local electronics store so it is an economical way to provide some guidance.
Depending how your switch is wired, it may determine what is being charged.

Stephen Staum
s/v Carol Lee 2
Needham, MA