[Rhodes22-list] How many people can Rhodes carry?

Wickman, William E WEWickman at spectraenergy.com
Wed Jul 3 10:28:19 EDT 2013

Catching up on posts so don't know if you have already gone out, but here is another idea.  Unless you are having to tack frequently, have the extra crew slip into the cabin whenever you come about.  Once the sails are set, just have the heavier crew sit on the windward side (if you can do so diplomatically).  I have even had some crew sit on the windward rail with the others on the windward bench seat.  It can be great fun with a crowd, but of course it depends on the captain and crew.  As others have said, if you are or become uncomfortable then either reduce sail or just motor.  Also, the crew will need to be young and limber enough to move around.  It would seem a shame to leave anyone on the dock.

BTW, I think the greatest number of people I have taken on my boat is 11 or 12, but most in that number were teenagers and half of them were perched on the bow and forward cabintop.  Needless to say, we were riding low on the waterline and I motor sailed with only the main in light winds.  It was great fun.

Bill W
s/v Fina Lee