[Rhodes22-list] Hull numbers

Dennis mcneelyd at site-solutions.com
Mon Jul 8 14:57:03 EDT 2013

I installed an extra long shaft Mercury Bigfoot 9.9 4 stroke a couple of
years ago - twice the weight of the two stroke it replaced. Silly me - the
lower pulleys on the old motor lift let go and I nearly lost the outboard. I
hadn't heard anything about the electric lift at the time, and installed a
Catalina spring loaded motor mount in its place.
(http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_
ID=707). They offer several models, rated for different weights of motors. I
got the heaviest model and installed it with large backing plates, since our
motor weighs 108 pounds. The lift works great coming up, and for the most
part, it works well going down too - although it's a bit of a struggle
getting it down the last 6" to really bury the prop when the lake gets
lively. I'm going to put a line and pulley on the transom to help with those
last few inches.

The lift has a little over 17" of travel; when fully up, it's fairly easy to
tilt the engine & access it if there's a problem. It's also fairly easy to
send parts or tools to Davey Jones locker - but that's operator error, not a
motor mount issue.

Dennis

www.great-loop.us
s/v Magic Moments