[Rhodes22-list] Hull numbers

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Mon Jul 8 15:08:07 EDT 2013

Dave,

There was a change at one time (1972?) when government agencies tried to
standardize boat ID number format.  My boat (1979) has both the stamped
metal ID number and a sticker with a new number assigned by state of
Georgia (located one below the other) and of course they are different.

Now here's the funny story - I registered my boat in GA without a
problem back in 2007 using the ID number on the sticker, since it was
the newer and issued by GA.  No problems, went right thru.

This year I get a renewal notice from the state for my registration, so
I send them a check.  Later I get a letter back from them telling me the
ID number I used is invalid (!) and they wanted me to use a pencil and
paper to make a carbon copy of the original stamped metal tag (!!).  So
I did as instructed and got my new registration, but switched back to
the old hull ID number.  Go figure...

--
Cheers!
John Lock