[Rhodes22-list] Outboard Motor Mount

Dennis mcneelyd at site-solutions.com
Mon Jul 8 19:33:35 EDT 2013

I have to rummage around in the garage Ric. We've gotten an unbelievable
amount of rain and the garage flooded, so it's going to be a day or two
before I get things drained and organized again. I can't do you much good
with the 1/4" screws at the moment though - I put them back in the transom
to plug the holes until I pull the boat in the fall and patch them.

The bit that caused my motor mount to fail may have been the new motor's
weight, the increased thrust, or the fact that the thrust is being applied
at the end of a longer moment arm. Regardless, the screws holding the lower
set of 3 pulleys pulled out of the transom, and the motor dropped. I patched
the old motor mount while waiting for the new one to arrive, but kept the
motor tied off to the pushpit in case the mount gave way again - and even
then kept the motor throttled back.

I put two 2" x 12" stainless steel backing strips across the transom behind
the new motor mount, and even with that additional reinforcement (on an
'87), the transom flexes a tiny bit while motoring.

Having said all the above, I'll get back with you in a day or two and let
you know if the gray guides for my old mount are still in the garage.

Dennis

www.great-loop.us
s/v Magic Moments
berthed in Gibraltar, Michigan