[Rhodes22-list] looking for a boat

Rob Granger rgranger at sbc.edu
Wed Jun 5 20:42:31 EDT 2013

Mark

I have a Rhodes 22 (and a few other sailboats).  The Rhodes is about 50% of
the way through a restoration.  I also have a Balboa 26 that is 98%
restored and lately I've not had much time or energy for the Rhodes.  I do
intend to finish her some day and was thinking I'd keep her for my kids to
borrow so they won't borrow my Balboa <evil grin>   but it might be prudent
for me to just sell her and focus on my Balboa.   If you are interested...
here is what she has....  she has a one-season old main sail... crisp and
white.   The roller furled head sail is older.  I'm not sure how old but
she looks serviceable.  I do not have the in mast furling for the main.
Just a regular sail track.   I've stripped the hull  bottom to gel coat and
filled in all the dings and gouges.  Above the boot strap is still a deep
navy blue and still looks nice.   I've also tore out the old galley and
salon.  The v-birth  and head closet still have solid wood as does the bulk
heads.  The ports are shot and will need new plexiglass or just replaced
all together.  I also have a very solid duel axle trailer that I've started
to modify to fit her and it would only take me a short while to finish
that.

So in short... before you could day sail her... you would need to replace
the ports, by an outboard and paint the bottom (well I guess you don't need
to paint if you keep her on a trailer but she looks weird.   If you don't
want anti-fouling on the bottom I have an epoxy barrier coat paint that I
could put on her in a short weekend.  Actually it would make sense for me
to do that anyway...  so consider that part of the deal.   Before you could
cruise in her you would need to also rebuild the galley and salon area and
rewire the nav. lights and maybe replace some.  I have the original ss sink
and I kept the old galley as a template.  The rudder and centerboard are in
good shape.

So... if you hare handy and this sounds like something you want to take on
let me know and I can give you more details and send you some  more pics.
I live in central Virginia.

Fair winds,

Rob Granger
rgranger at sbc.edu