[Rhodes22-list] Remote Control

Optonline bgreenwald at optonline.net
Fri Jun 7 23:06:13 EDT 2013

Rob,

My boat (now in NC for trade-in) had a Yamaha with a 703 remote throttle mounted on the portside stern rail forward of the captain's seat.  I was very happy with that location because it allowed me to hold the tiller in my right hand and control the throttle, all while facing forward.  The only drawback was that the motor had to turned when raising or lowering it to permit the cables to clear the motor lift.  The new motor will accommodate the same installation but is complicated somewhat by the condition Dave noted regarding the lack of a locking mechanism.  In place of the old spring loaded lock is a friction nut that requires a wrench to adjust - how long will that wrench stay on board?  The dealer, who I happened to speaking with yesterday, suggested that there is a small plate on the front which, if removed, will allow a clevis pin of some sort to be dropped in to lock the motor.  I think this is what Dave was suggesting.  In any event it was his opinion that an experienced and inventive mechanic with very high quality cables  will be able to find a way to make it work pretty much the way the captain wishes.  BTW, bill Effros had a tohatsu with a remote mounted I liar to mine and I spoke to a Honda dealer last fall who didn't think it would be much of a problem either.

Bruce Greenwald