[Rhodes22-list] 175 and backstay tension

Shawn Boles shawn.sustain at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 20:21:33 EDT 2013

Hi Lee:
I was hoping you would reply. I only have the temerity to rake the mast
slightly based on advice from Chris G, who went sailing with me and
confirmed that the boat as rigged had an unacceptable slight lee helm. He
suggested the adjustment at the masthead tang and it worked like a charm. I
come from the school of thought that says a slight weather helm with the
sails balanced is a good thing since the bow  naturally turns up in the
wind if anything weird happens. Prior to my adjustment I had to work the
tiller against a lee helm. With respect to using a loos gauge, I just hand
tighten the turnbuckles on the side stays roughly the same, sieze them with
wire and leave them alone. As I start my second season I'm looking forward
to learning more about this amazing boat.

Now that you know what a becket is, what is the distance between them on
your boat? :)

Cheers,
Shawn

S/V Sweet Baboo