[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard top glassed in?

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Mon Jun 17 13:23:54 EDT 2013

You definitely need to secure the pintles into the gudgeons.

My rudder pin (1974) originally had a flat spring gizmo at the "flat spot"
that held the pintle in the gudgeon. I thought I didn't need it as the
weight of the rudder seemed more than enough to keep it in place. Wrong
again. While at its mooring during a somewhat rough period the rudder was
lifted enough for the  lower pintle to be lifted free of the gudgeon and
then hanging from the upper pintle alone, thankfully as otherwise I would
have lost the rudder, it thrashed about in the waves damaging the gelcoat
extensively all over the transom.

My fix was to drill a hole through the lower pintle so that I could insert a
cotter pin. I drilled the hole about 1/2" below where the lower gudgeon hole
is to give me some space to insert the pin and then put a 1/2" piece of
rubber tube (gas line I think) above the cotter pin and the gudgeon to act
as a spacer and also as a shock absorber.

Removing the rudder was easier and much faster with the spring but you would
need to buy a new pintle. The cotter pin works for me.

Graham