[Rhodes22-list] Problem with Main Sail shackle with screw pin

Theodore Boender boendert at me.com
Mon Jun 17 20:35:55 EDT 2013

The same exact thing happened to me this weekend! However, I could not find the screw pin. I had to rig up a temp fix on the fly. I think I am going to safety wire that damn pin next time. I think it is a 1/2 in shackle.

Adapt and overcome!

Good luck with the new boat Mr Babs. This is just the beginning. There are about a thousand other little parts (maybe not that many) just like that damn 1/2 inch shackle that, if they fail, could ruin your otherwise pleasant sail.

Here is my pre-sail inspection checklist.

#1 Check everything you can.
#2 Check it again
#3 Think and worry about all the things you didn't check
#4 Adapt and overcome when the one thing you didn't check fails or doesn't work underway
#5 Have a drink (Mt Gay Rum is the beverage of choice) to numb the pain and help you from worrying about checking everything

Cheers,
Ted

S/V AIRPOWER R22 1991/2013
NEW Update---Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire!!!