[Rhodes22-list] Problem with Main Sail shackle with screw pin

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Wed Jun 19 12:41:35 EDT 2013

IF the rings are installed correctly, this cannot happen.

Rummy

In a message dated 6/18/2013 9:25:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
michaelhellyar at icloud.com writes:

Then you  will appreciate this. A ring retaining a clevis pin on the
turnbuckle came  loose and the stay was hanging in the stiff breeze. The ring was
right there  on the deck. I searched for the pin but could not find it. I
had an extra so I  grabbed the stay to re-attach it to the turnbuckle and OMG
there was the  clevis pin, yes, still inserted though both sides. No lie !
But it was one of  those days. So, just when I re-inserted the lock ring and
secured the  starboard stay,wham, the port stay turnbuckle ring also came
off. And guess  what ? Yep. Same thing. The clevis pin was still inserted
through both sides  and the ring was right there on the deck. Friends, this is
no sailor's tale.  How it can happen must be purely physics and chance and
good luck. But I don't  use those rings anymore. Stainless seizing wire.

Mike Hellyar
sent  from my iPad

On Jun 18, 2013, at 10:41 AM, Leland  <LKUHN at cnmc.org> wrote:

> Borat,
>
> Yesterday  evening a clevis pin and codder ring securing one of my leeward
>  shrouds jumped overboard.  First time that's ever happened.
Fortunately it
> was an easy temporary fix and didn't slow us  down.  Even more fortunate
it
> wasn't on the windward side of a  boat with less shrouds.
>
> I'm amazed at how many things come  loose under the bending and flexing
> caused by sailing.  A  pre-flight checklist would probably be smart but it
> would be so long  that the juice might not be worth the squeeze.  If
> something  comes loose it's unlikely that you'll plummet to your death.
I'd

http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/Problem-with-Main-Sail-shackle-with-screw-pin-tp45985p46000.html
go to  http://www.rhodes22.org/list