[Rhodes22-list] Sacrificial Toothpicks

Mike Hellyar mdh007 at wowway.com
Thu Jun 20 09:05:54 EDT 2013

We are re-attaching the mast step fitting. The holes were left uncovered for years. We are going to through bolt. Yes, we know Stan's theory. We used a simple process described in West System Boat Maintenance. Cured epoxy can be hard on drill bits so Steve came up with the idea to slobber match sticks with some paste wax use clear tape over the filled holed and stick the match sticks into the epoxy to create a pilot small starter pilot. Tape hold the matchsticks vertical. And it worked like a charm. And the epoxy wicked quite a bit to repair any core damage in the area. By taping the hole opening in the cabin we prevented in leakage. Given the strength of epoxy we could just as well have re-drilled and screwed into the epoxy.

Mike Hellyar
Steve Congdon, Rhodesmaster I
sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message: