[Rhodes22-list] Sacrificial Toothpicks

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Thu Jun 20 11:44:16 EDT 2013

Mike,
Please follow the advice of the list (and Stan's) and DO NOT through bolt
the mast step.

Rummy

In a message dated 6/20/2013 9:06:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mdh007 at wowway.com writes:

We are  re-attaching the mast step fitting. The holes were left uncovered
for years.  We are going to through bolt. Yes, we know Stan's theory. We used
a simple  process described in West System Boat Maintenance. Cured epoxy
can be hard on  drill bits so Steve came up with the idea to slobber match
sticks with some  paste wax use clear tape over the filled holed and stick the
match sticks into  the epoxy to create a pilot small starter pilot. Tape
hold the matchsticks  vertical. And it worked like a charm. And the epoxy
wicked quite a bit to  repair any core damage in the area. By taping the hole
opening in the cabin we  prevented in leakage. Given the strength of epoxy we
could just as well have  re-drilled and screwed into the epoxy.

Mike Hellyar
Steve Congdon,  Rhodesmaster I
sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded  message: