[Rhodes22-list] One or Three

Bob and Kathy Quinn bobandkathyr22 at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 23 16:32:43 EDT 2013

I believe that you need to think horizontally - the bolt goes through the mast step, through the mast, and out the other side of the mast step.  This give you the "hinge."  If you think vertically, then recent discussion have talked about "through bolting" the mast step through the deck, rather than using three screws (most of the Rhodes 22s that I have seen have three holes on the bottom plate of the step) to hold the mast step (and the mast if it is up) in place.  In a dis-masting situation, the three screws holding the mast step to the deck will break free with little (but some) damage to the deck.  If you through bolt on the other hand and go through a dis-masting, then you will have a really torn up deck - not a pleasant thought!

Bob in Florida on the R22 "NoKaOi 3"