[Rhodes22-list] Shroud and Stay adjustments

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Thu Jun 27 19:01:05 EDT 2013

I remembered that I had an old 1988 manual for a Rhodes 22 that explains in
Stan's elegant words how to tune the rig. It might be different for masts
with internal furling but should otherwise be applicable. It answers the
question about how tight the shrouds and stays should be.

Any movement of the masthead to the lee will make the shrouds go limp.
Removing all movement through tension will put an inordinate compression
load on the mast. I don't like lee shrouds that are so loose that the
fittings fall apart or that show unreasonable masthead movement but I also
see no need to use tools other than perhaps a pin through the hole in the
barrel of the turnbuckle to tighten them by hand. But you should expect the
lee shrouds to go slack.

Graham