[Rhodes22-list] How many people can Rhodes carry?

Joe Camp jjcampjr at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 30 10:08:22 EDT 2013

Shawn;

     I have sailed with six, two of us being 230+ in weight.  It was a spring day with steady winds about 6 - 8 and gusts way up in the high teens.  Frankly, I regretted having gone that day.  When a gust hit, I seemed to have diminished control.  I tried to keep weight on the leeward side, but in those sudden bursts of violent wind, some crew wound up under the bench seats. Also, with all of the fleshy cargo in the cockpit, I was unable to move about and "sail" the boat.

     Stan boasts room for six in the cockpit, and they all fit.  But, I'll bet that Stan sides with safety, especially with an untrained or unfamiliar crew.  I like four adults as a maximum crew... for safety.  Coming about with a compliment of eight, would be a risk on which I'd pass.  "Know your limits" is an axiom I have preached for, well, a long long time.  I've applied it to everything from bike riding to writing a college paper.  In your case, the safety of those whom you love would be the deciding factor.  And if you're writing that college paper, only use words for which you actually know the meanings and employ mostly strong verbs.

Joe Camp
s/v John Dawson
Bohemia River MD