[Rhodes22-list] Offshore trip

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Sun Mar 3 11:36:20 EST 2013

I am back. Actually I got home Wednesday afternoon, but have been busy
catching up on email and work. It was a wonderful trip covering about 408
miles.  We started from Delray Beach, FL Saturday morning and went out to the
gulf  stream after several hours of motoring on the ICW. Florida has a lot of
draw  bridges and some are "on demand" and others are on a schedule of  top
of  the hour and bottom or the fifteen and forty five. Timing is everything.
Topped  off with Fuel and ice before leaving the ICW. We went out about
twenty miles  until we saw the water temperature increase and then we knew we
were in the  stream. Strong southerly winds and the gulf stream allowed us to
cover 238 miles  in the first 24 hours. We saw three LARGE cruise ships
headed for Port Canaveral  and were hoping they saw us on their radar. They all
missed us. :) We had a pod  of dolphins play in our bow wake in the middle
of the night also. From  there it went down hill. Ran into a squall Monday
afternoon and not knowing  our fuel situation (new sending unit had been
installed prior to picking up the  boat) we back tracked to St. Augustine,
refueled and then started north in  the ditch. (ICW) The fuel gauge show about an
1/8th of a tank, but we only took  on 10 gallons with the tank holding 20
when full. We stayed at the Beech Street  marina in Jacksonville, FL. Monday
night after motoring in heavy rain for  several hours. It was good to get off
the boat for a good meal and adult  beverages. Tuesday we left early and
motored until we got to Jekyl Island just  at dark. Our destination was only a
little more than an hour ahead, but  traveling the ICW in the dark is not
recommended. We ran aground Tuesday at  marker 62, but with persistent
reverse motor power and pulling the main sail  out, we were able to get free.
Wednesday we arrived at St. Simons Island,  Georgia and by 9:30 I was headed
home. After being rocked around for five days,  getting my land legs took a
little time, but there really is no place like  home.
Captain Keller has a very nice Catalina 310 which is a nice upgrade from
the R22.

Rummy