[Rhodes22-list] I'm Back

Wickman, William E WEWickman at spectraenergy.com
Wed Mar 13 17:32:59 EDT 2013

I had been coveting the Hobie Tandem Island for quite some time as well.  It has exceeded my expectations so far.  To answer your questions:

Yes, 20 knots is no problem for this boat.  You could go even higher if you wanted with absolutely no risk of flipping it.  In fact, I think you can take it out in higher winds than the Rhodes.  The sail can be roller reefed around the mast so you have unlimited reefing just like the Rhodes22.  When the boat gets overpowered the amas get pushed below the water but that is about it.  As soon as they are submerged the boat just stiffens up.  The extra drag of the buried ama slows the boat down so at that point you just reef in some of the sail.  Some owners have built hakas that allow them to sit outboard of the kayak to keep the boat flat and increase speed. It is a very wet ride though, and can be drenching when sailing in high winds; but that is part of the fun.

It does not point as well as a sloop because it is a trimaran and doesn't carry a jib sail.  It is probably somewhat like a catamaran like the Hobie Cats.  Also, some say that they have to peddle the boat through a tack; more so in higher winds.  I have been able to tack it fine most of the time but it does come about slowly.  Again it is not unlike the Hobie 16 that I used to own where you had to backwind the jib to bring it about.  Without a jib, it is helpful to sometimes give it a little help with the peddles.

The "penguin flippers", or mirage drives, are incredible.  I use them almost exclusively when not sailing, and even when sailing in light air to supplement speed and help to point higher.  They feel a lot like a recumbent bike, and you are able to go faster and longer than if you used conventional paddles.  As an example, my friend and I paddled the boat for around 20 hours straight when we did the WaterTribe North Carolina Challenge and were able to sustain around 4 knots the entire time; more when the wind was blowing.  Granted we were tired at the end, but we were able to keep up with and even beat the super long and slender ocean racing kayaks.

Sorry about the long post.

Bill W.