[Rhodes22-list] Bilge Pumps

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Tue Mar 19 20:47:45 EDT 2013

I put a Rule mid-sized pump (about 5" high) immediately aft of the mast
where it fit fine under the floor boards below  an access trap. I laminated
a piece of half inch plywood with epoxy so I would not have to screw into
the fibreglass. These pumps can plug up easily so you want to be able to get
to it quickly to clear any obstructions. Mine pumps to its own thru-hull in
the port side about where the sink drains with a loop in the hose to prevent
siphoning. The only time it was ever used was when I deliberately put water
in the boat for cleaning but I still think it is a good precaution to have
it. If you ever get laid flat or take a wave over the side you might not
want to rely on a sponge or even a pail to  get the water out as, no doubt,
under those circumstances other matters might be competing for your
attention.

Graham Stewart