[Rhodes22-list] hull deck joint reseal questions

Mike C hmcheung57 at gmail.com
Wed May 1 06:45:41 EDT 2013

Graham - thanks for the idea of wedging the joint open a bit wider to get the
sealant further in!  Muireann definitely has screws that were behind the rub
rail mounting strip and, so far at least, no rivets that I've found.
Starting to clean things up.  I'll try the hack saw blade, though I confess
some trepidation about damaging her paint.  Also, our friends at Harbor
Freight have a four piece hook and pick set
(http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-pick-and-hook-set-66836.html) on sale
this month if your get their coupon book mailing.  For $1.49 it may be worth
a try.  The depth of the gap has me tempted to try to get something else way
up in the gap before trying to force sealant in.  On Muireann it looks as if
the sealant was in general only intruded about halfway up the gap.  I could
probably push something up higher to help serve as a further water intrusion
deterrent, maybe rope caulk, if that's still around, or teflon valve stem
rope.  Heck, even 1/8" inch nylon or PP cording would slow down any water
intrusion that got by the sealant and maybe turn what would have been a
"squirt" from burying the bow into a trickle.  Oh well, plenty of time to
think about that while I clean out as much of the old sealant as I can.

-----
Mike Cheung
s/v Muireann