[Rhodes22-list] educational rebuttal

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Mon May 6 12:56:12 EDT 2013

Awesome Stan. Glad to see you haven't lost your sense of humor and are
still willing to educate the masses.

Rummy

In a message dated 5/6/2013 9:31:42 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
stan at rhodes22.com writes:

Dear  Rhodies and Rhodes Prospects:

Recovery does allow one some free  time so I would like to say a word for
the Rhodes.
(It also allows some  time for writing - like what you would like
engraved in stone.  I had  always liked "I told them I was sick" but that
has been taken so am toying  with "after an 87 year battle with natural
causes".)

When you are  young you tend to know the other guy knows more than you.
When you  get real old, you know nobody knows more than you - at least
Rhodes and  politically, speaking.  I won't take the List's time
politically  since I am always writing that book and never getting much
further than  the changing of titles, the latest being, "MINORITY OF
FOOLS,  the  triggering of the Coming Boom" - stan spitzer's first book
in 87  years.

The Rhodes is a different story.  I did not come to bury  the Rhodes, as
so many on the List have been doing.  I have come to  see that its legacy
outlives all who live to sail - and the rest of us who  sail to live.

In the beginning our contribution was creative design,  not the
breaking-in of new construction techniques.  Every builder  used wood for
the cores, rivets for the shoe box seams and thin glass for  the new
market of the hoped for masses.  So we did too.

All we  had was a shared advertising art studio 2nd floor office on 46th
street,  so we spent the nineteen seventies at the pros from Nova Scotia
to  Wichita, watching them build their boats - and ours.

In those days,  when cores were made with balsa and each square patiently
tapped to try  and insure bonding, or with strips of fir or ply, we
squirmed  instinctively.  But we were only in our forties. Nevertheless
we  stared making up our own core packages to bring to the contractor:
Shaped  ply panels that we slotted and coated with resin.  Somewhat
better  since many of the old Rhodes we later bought back, still had
solid  decks.  Some did not.   Today, Rhodes decks have no wood.   Cores
are plastic.  Thickness is overkill.  We tell show lookers  to skip tire
kicking and jump on our decks instead; then watch competitors
expressions when lookers begin jumping up and down on their  decks.

In those days of simplified pricing, it was by the pound - glass  and
resin used.  The lighter the boat the more competitive, price  wise. The
Ventures came along and made this building, an art form.   In water it
did not seem to matter - on land the art form had its weak  points,
particularly on trailers.  In my fifties standing in the  lazaret,
feeling the flexing hull bottom underfoot, was unnerving. Molding  the
Rhodes keel as an integrated part of the hull itself, made the Rhodes
mid-ship bottom, naturally stiff, whereas competitive boats bolted on
their keels.  Few boats had flotation. Those that did accomplished it
with chunks of bought foam planks, as we ourselves did - in our early
days; until it dawned on us to marry the two by molding the foam to fit
the hull, then glass it in to stiffen the cockpit and bow sections of
the boat bottom.  It also dawned on us that a modest redesign of the
floor unit stringers and their glassing in, added more bottom
stiffness.  By the time we moved the making of the hulls to our own
shop, we had matured enough to have given up on the price wars.  We
started to lay up the port side hull glass so it continued on across the
bottom, and the starboard side glass lay up so it too continued on
across the bottom.   With the hull sides extraordinarily stiff  from the
Rhodes unusual compound curved flared hull shape, now its bottom  was
extraordinarily stiff from being twice the thickness of the sides. The
hulls we build today in our own facility are so extraordinarily stiff
that we lift the boats by their bow eye and transom eyes and boat shape
shows no deflection.  This amazing difference from our early boats  /is/
probably overkill because I do not know of any other builder who  moves
their boats around supported at only its two extremes.

In  those days masts in our category were mostly supported by three stays
(maybe a forth as a backstay) and stepped on a well connected mast
tabernacle.  With only the jib stay forward of the pivot point and  the
most likely to fail; bringing the mast down - and part of the cabin  top
up, damage to boat and crew could be noteworthy. Reading, we learned
that masts with this kind of elementary rigging, were subject to
"pumping" symptoms.  Observing, we noted the vaccination for mast
pumping on larger sailboats was lower shrouds, fore and aft of the mast
pivot point.   Extremists from the start, we went from 3 to 9  stays, and
a screwed-on "break-away" mast step. The results (worth the  increase in
costs and slight increase in rigging time):   A  superior mast load
distribution on the hull.  A breaking jib stay  (the most likely stay to
fail on a sailboat) does not bring down the  mast.  The evolution of the
Rhodes mast hoist system.  The  wiping out of mast pumping.  The built-in
vertical life line effects  from multiple spaced out shrouds.  The safety
of redundancy. The  evolution of the Rhodes unique traveler system.  And
even if the sore  loser of the race you just won, pulls all 9 stay pins,
your deck top does  not feel the pain.   Remember, the 4 additional lower
shrouds  are there to take the pumping action out of your mast (and
support it in  an emergency if ever an upper shroud failure).  However,
to those  creative early-boat owners who over-tighten or somehow manage
to sail into  obstacles to loosen or even pull out these innocent 4 extra
chain plates,  take comfort in knowing that in the latest Rhodes they are
also glassed  into the deck to make their damaging a bit more difficult.
For those  who, at sometime or another, have to see what happens when
sailing under a  low bridge or trailing with the mast up or trying to
take down an  overhanging tree branch the easy way, and are annoyed by
the results,  sorry, we have supported your boat's mast to the best of
our abilities -  so far.

In those days most decks and hulls were joined with  rivets.  Fast, easy,
not so strong because they were aluminum.   They did not allow for a
controlled drawing in (spacing between deck and  hull) and their shaft
(steel) sometimes broke, remaining inside the  compressed rivet,
eventually leaving dripping rust stains.  The  alternate, glassing deck
to hull, took its toll on workers and hence  builders. Nuts on bolts, too
difficult.  SS screws through the deck  and threading into the hull,
actually turns out to be the best way to go.  Stainless is strong and
forever and allows spacing control. General Boats  benefits from the best
quality control possible - our owners.   Because we do not sell through
dealers we are able to cup our ears.   If no screams, we know /that/ idea
is working.  If we are mistaken we  get first hand field reports and we
can turn on a smaller dime than the  big guys. New Rhodes decks to hulls
are bolted at the transom corners'  chain plates and main upper shroud
chain plates and screwed together  in-between.  Winches, cleats, tracks,
that carry shear forces, are  installed with machine screws threaded into
our thick glass layup.   Does that work?  You have told us it does.  Not
once in all our  years have we lost a single deck or any hardware so
attached.    We rest our shear load case.    Deck/hull seam leakage?  The
boat is not intended to be sailed with the rail under water, but that is
inevitable.   And here we have goofed.  We just assumed  everyone knew
how to use a caulking gun and observed many of our earlier  workers did
not.  For those in the latter class we point out that you  advance with
the gun in front of you forcing the sealant up into the  cavity as you
progress, NOT with gun moving away from its chore so it is  pulling on
the sealant.

The moral of all this is the same as in  the closing scene of the movie
classic "Some Like It Hot" where Joe E.  Brown, sitting in the back seat
of a motor boat, puts his arm around Jack  Lemon who, in a dress, is
wearing a blond wig and Lemon pulls off his wig  in his final frustrated
attempt to prove he is not a woman, to which Brown  persists his
advances, gleefully delivering the movie's last line,  "Nobody's perfect".

Except, of course, a recent  Rhodes.

ss