[Rhodes22-list] interior paint

sprocket80 sprocket80 at mail.com
Mon May 13 15:23:43 EDT 2013

On the '74 I once owned, there was no centetboard access from the cabin or removable trunk cap. The board came out from below. There was a 1/2" stainless steel pivot pin glassed into the keel. A previous owner had ground the keel to expose the pin for removal and installed a stainless cover.

The center two stringers were glassed to the hull at the ends and tabbed down in the middle. Those two stringers only supported the cabin floor. That was the thickest part of the hull, where mine had concrete encapsulated in epoxy around the centerboard trunk and additional strength would not have been added by glassed in stringers anyway. If you feel it necessary to completely glass the stringers down, just leave an opening for the "bays" to drain to the center of the bilge.

No one seemed before to know exactly when the centerboard design changed but now it looks as if it was mid 1974.

Todd T
--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Graham Stewart <gstewart8 at cogeco.ca> wrote:

Dennis:
What a relief to know that there is someone else out there with a 74 Rhodes.
Interesting that you and I both have 74s yet the centreboard and ballast
construction is so different. What is your hull number? Mine is 244.

I have attached a picture of my cabin bilge taken from the same angle as
your picture.

I do not have cement ballast but instead what I think are steel bricks
stacked and glassed over just in front of the forward cross strut shown at
the bottom of the photo. The main bulkhead and mast post sit on that strut.
(I call the pieces gong fore and aft "stringers" and the cross pieces
"struts" for a lack of better terminology.)

Also, my boat has a cap on the swing keel housing, currently removed, with a
flange that allows it to be bolted down to the flange on the lower piece -
shown n the picture. To understand what you are seeing, originally, the cap
was covered with a layer of cloth that wrapped around the flange. Getting it
off was difficult and in the process the matching surfaces of the flanges
were badly damaged. To make smooth surfaces for mating I cut a piece of 1/8"
aluminium and bonded it to the lower flange with epoxy filler and bolts -
which you can see in the photo. I then covered it with a layer of wax paper
and then bonded the cap to the lower surface. Once cured, I removed the cap
and wax paper to have perfectly matching surfaces that help making a proper
seal with a gasket and silicone. I should also note that the cap was broken
during the first removal and needed to be made stronger and more rigid by
adding some layers of cloth and epoxy resin. That was not original. With the
cap removed I am able to simply lift the swing keel straight up and out of
the boat. Is there a way to get the swing keel out of your housing?

I am not sure exactly what you mean when you ask whether you " should epoxy
the fibreglass beneath the stringers" I think it makes sense to fasten the
stringers to the hull with epoxy or resin filler and tape. Mine are all
attached in this way. It preserves the wood in addition to adding strength
as I think the stringers give the hull increased stiffness which is
important especially on the older boats which appear t have less structural
stiffness in the hull lay-up. Do the stringers fit the hull of are they
suspended above it. Mine fit snugly making the glassing process easier.

Graham