[Rhodes22-list] furling drum build

Chris Geankoplis napoli68 at charter.net
Thu May 16 01:46:36 EDT 2013

Dave,
	Are you talking about a CDI or the classic GB tube furler?  If it is
the GB tube furler here is how I rebuilt mine when the parts weren't
available.  If you can get them from Stan it would be easier.  If it is a
CDI I can't help you there as I have always had the tube furler for the last
36 years.

I can't recall the measurements; you will have to get the measurements. Oh,
if you don't have the tube let me know and I'll go measure it.  Get a hole
saw the right size; it is actually the diameter of the outside of the
tubing.  Cut out a plug (you will need to drill from both sides of a 1 1/2
thick block of nylon or Derelyn (sp) or similar slippery plastic. The first
pilot hole may not go all the way through so you will need to continue the
hole through the block with a regular bit, you then use that as a pilot hole
to drill from the other side.  If done carefully you have a cylinder about 1
1/8" in diameter (or whatever the actual diameter of the tubing is) and 1
1/2 long or so with a hole  through the center.  Carefully mark with an
indelible marker a thin band perhaps 1/8 around the very top.  Assuming you
don't have a lathe, take an appropriately sized machine screw and thread it
through the hole with enough left over to put into your drill.  Clamp or
secure the hand drill (unless you have a drill press then that part isn't
necessary).  Take a coarse sanding block and with great patience, set the
drum in motion and start sanding the spinning cylinder until it is still a
bit over sized (don't over sand). Remember do not sand the black band, that
is your "lip" OK, now the tricky part.  With the thinnest blade you can find
(jig, band or even a hand hacksaw) cut the cylinder right down the middle
length wise through the hole. Test the fit, it should not go in at all
easily, give a slight bevel on the two flat surfaces you created when you
split the cylinder, or conversely taper the cylinder a bit when you are
sanding. If you are happy with the results then make a 2nd cylinder in the
same manner. Feed the forestay through the tubing and then put each halve of
the cylinder around the wire at the bottom and top, tap into place and then
drill a small set screw hole through the aluminum and a very short distance
into the plastic, be sure it can't come near the wire.  That is pretty much
it.  I am assuming that you have the proper sleeved sail.  If not Stan may
have a used one, or he can order a new one for you, most of the big lofts
have the pattern.  Oh, if you don't have the tubing call around and locate
one of sufficient length.  You will have to have a disk welded onto the tube
to accept the furling line.  If you need pictures let me know.  The above
seems to make sense to me, but then a lot of things do that don't make sense
to the rest of humanity, well the sober part anyway.
Chris G

-----Original Message-----IFrom: rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org