[Rhodes22-list] Traveling with motor mounted.

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Wed May 22 08:40:02 EDT 2013

Ted,
I think you'll find you must legally strap your boat down to travel on public roads.  And, I expect it would be really embarrassing to hit a big pothole and have your boat bounce off the trailer.  Very unlikely, yes, but explain that to the cop.  I expect a citation for failure to secure load would be in order.  So strap the boat to the trailer.  Find something compressible to go between the straps and the boat to protect the boat.  Or use the eyes on the bow and stern to strap her down.  Relying on the weight of the boat to keep her in place on the trailer is a bit chancy.  Just my thoughts. - rob