[Rhodes22-list] Need advice on basic sailing of an R-22 in higher winds

reidhester reidkhester at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 09:08:22 EDT 2013

That's a good description of how to heave-to Ken. We've done it on occasion
in other boats and you're right. While the wind is howling about you, the
boat quiets down and you can calm down. We have done it between races and
it's a great way to be able to eat a sandwich, have a drink, and debrief the
previous race.

"Starting with a small triangle “storm jib” out from the Genny and a partial
main, that is manageable in 20+ wind. Come about to a  starboard tack or
winch the jib sheet to the port side, let the main sheet go, and take the
tiller to starboard (port turn). The backwinded jib will balance the rudder
leaving the main slack and boom to starboard easing operation of the IMF and
providing a calming respite with a leeward drift. I did relocate the
out-haul cleat from the end of the boom so I can stand in the companionway
(braced) and have control of the in, and outhaul lines. Running the Jib
sheets inside the rigging seems necessary to go upwind in really strong
conditions. Stretch your comfort zone, this boat is very well designed, and
beginner tolerant!
Ken"

-----
Warmest regards,