[Rhodes22-list] Using mast crutch for tarp

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Sun Nov 10 19:27:58 EST 2013

I found that it was easier to store my mast off the boat and use two 14' 2x4
as a ridge for the tarp. It was held in place by the fore pulpit, a 4x4 post
at the mast step and another support at the stern. The mast has a lot of
gear and spreaders that can tear the tarp but I am sure that works fine and
makes sense if you don't have a convenient place to store the mast.
I have never understood the preference for shrink wrap. Air circulation
inside the boat is important and having that adhesive tape stuck around the
perimeter looks to me like trouble. Add to that the fact that it costs much
more than a tarp and it rates poorly in my books. But then, I have never
tied it so I may have missed the advantages.

Graham