[Rhodes22-list] recommendations for mast electrical wiring routing

Gary Novotny gjnovotny at comcast.net
Thu Nov 14 11:00:00 EST 2013

Ric,

Sounds Like we are indeed at similar points in rewiring our boats. I also
thought that the above the galley original location might not be advisable.
I decided to mount my circuit panel on the port companion way bulkhead (not
sure of the proper terminology here). I used a Blue Sea Systems breaker
panel (http://www.bluesea.com/products/8068/DC_13_Position) along with their
dual battery management panel
(http://www.bluesea.com/products/8686/Dual_Battery_Bank_Management_Panel).
I also want to have two batteries and solar at some point. The breaker panel
is probably  way overkill, but I like to have room to add circuits if
needed.

I wanted to mount the breaker panel  in a wooden enclosure, but I knew it
would take me forever to build a decent looking wooden box. I bought a
wooden box on amazon to fit the panel in. The box proved to be a bit flimsy
for the panel  once all the circuits were wired I in so I beefed  it up by
epoxying aluminum supports on the inside and added heavier duty hinges. I
fabricated a box out of Celtec PVC plastic for the battery management panel.
I originally thought that this proved to be a bad idea, because while Celtec
is easy to work with, it's a soft material compared with starboard or
fiberglass. It's kind of easy to dent and may show wear over the long run. I
just learned that the real trick is to gelcoat the Celtec which provides a
very hard surface that looks just like solid fiberglass. See the attachment
for photo of breaker box and Battery panel mount. I may remove the battery
mgmt. panel box and gelcoat it.

I mounted three electrical blocks under the bulkhead, one large gauge Bus
bar for the DC grounding bus (similar to
http://www.bluesea.com/products/2303/Common_150A_BusBar_-_Four_1_4in-20_Stud
s), and two small terminal blocks for positive and negative circuit
connections (similar to
http://www.bluesea.com/products/2410/Terminal_Block_20A_-_10_Circuit). This
is all still a work in progress, so I still have a lot of wiring to do as
well as finish work. I know  I'm going to have to cover up the Bus and
terminal blocks with some kind of protective panel. My current thinking is
to fabricate a hinged cover out of Celtec and then gelcoat it.

Anyway got to go for now.

Stay in touch

Gary
S/V not named yet