[Rhodes22-list] Need advice on basic sailing of an R-22 in higher winds

Reid K Hester reidkhester at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 13:13:38 EDT 2013

Hi Stan and all,
I've cut and pasted part of your recent post on sailing the Rhodes 22 in
high winds. I'm curious as to what kept you from tacking in high winds.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Warmest regards,

Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.
Director, Research Division
Behavior Therapy Associates LLC
Behaviortherapy.com <http://www.behaviortherapy.com>
Drinker's Check-up <http://www.drinkerscheckup.com>

You ask about wind condition limits.  Judge Robert Baldi (Moses) sails
his Rhodes with IMF in the North Atlantic in search of high winds.  When
we went for our demo sail in Edenton, luckily the winds were 30 and he
insisted we go for it.  And we went for it:  Pop top down, Lowered boom,
IMF half out, a storm size furling Jib, cockpit cushions in the cabin
and crew sitting on the gunnels.  The Rhodes is a dry boat but we got
soaked.  The Rhodes comes about easily but we could not come about
normally and we had to jibe each time we wanted to change course.  No
problem with boat steering or IMF.  He ordered a new boat on the spot
and was last heard from on his way to Bermuda.

<http://www.moderatedrinking.com>